Friday, January 20, 2006

Covers and Remixes

While it may be a bit lazy in terms of musical homework, I am very much getting into covers and remixes at the moment - the familar is all new and interesting. Some standout ones for me:

  • Eddie Vedder contributing on 'I See Red' and 'Stuff and Nonsense' (7 Worlds Collide)
  • Holly Throsby doing 'Not the Girl you Think you are' (She will have her way). I also like New Buffalo doing '4 seasons' as it's, well, odd, and Sarah Blasko's "Don't Dream it's Over" for a gratuitous use of a choir and very slight over-production, mostly to good effect.
  • Jose Gonzalez doing 'Put your hand on your heart' - yes, the Kylie song (Australian Tour EP)
  • The entire Guerolito album
  • The Cat Empire does 'Hotel California' (Like a version) - possibly the only way I can sit through an Eagles song
  • Gary Jules in Donny Darko - 'Mad World'
  • Propellorheads remixing - Of her Majesty's Secret Service (Shaken & Stirred). I especially like this as the left/right balance has been tweaked so it sounds like an entire horn section is running from side to side behind you.
  • Soulchild remix of 19-2000 as originally created by the Gorillaz
  • Malcom McLaren - About her (Kill Bill 2)
  • The Pictures - Milkshake (Like a version)
  • Rebecca Barnard (Ex Rebecca's empire) - She's Rare (The Women at the Well)
  • Scissor Sisters - Take me out

I also have recently got 'Strung out on OK Computer', a string quartet version of OK computer (Radiohead). I quite like it, but other albums in the same vein of Radiohead as classically interpreted have gotten better reviews, so I guess it's more homework for me


I also have found the 'Army of Me' album of remixes of the Bjork song of the same name - still trying to work my way though it but homework is not always fun :(

2 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try some of the mashups you can find around the place:
http://www.partyben.com/
http://www.team9.net/

I like the mashy of 'Doorbell' and 'Encore'

I can send you a copy of 'American Edit' by Dean Gray, which is a completely mashed up remixed version of an entire greenday album. It's very good, even if you don't like greenday.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Sponky said...

An update from Sponky:

Have subsequently discovered that my Postal Service album (Give UP) has two covers on it and I didn't even realise:

Such Great Heights (originally a Iron and Wine song - heard it in Borders today, very different in original form)

We Will Become Silhouettes which is cover of a song by The Shins.

There you go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home