Sunday, November 27, 2005

Summer is not a personal experience

Today I would like to share with you my favourite quote from Garrison Keillor, American humorist and fabulous radio entertainer:

"Winter is not a personal experience; everyone else is as cold as you are; so don't complain about it too much... It could be worse." (from Wobegon Boy).

Summer is obviously the closest weather inconvience you can have in Brisbane, given the rest of the year it's pretty pleasant. You know it's summer in Brisbane when:
  1. There is storm warnings on the TV every evening for places you have never heard of
  2. The thunder is so loud it makes the windows rattle
  3. It rains EVERY DAY (yeah!)
  4. You say 'Bugger that oscillating, point that fan directly at me'
  5. It's TOO HOT at 9am and you have only been out of bed for 15 minutes
  6. Icecream becomes a valid main meal choice
  7. You want to marry the man who invented air conditioning

So, in the spirit of Mr Keillor, I will paraphase:

"Summer is not a personal experience; everyone else is as hot and sweaty and cranky as you are; so don't complain about it too much... It could be worse."

Yeah, I COULD live in Cairns (Hi in-laws!) I would like to promise this will be my last post about the heat, but it's still only November - and we have 3 fun months still to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home