Monday, November 06, 2006

How the voices in your head make you a better person

While in no way advocating the work of quasi-punk teen rockers Blink 182, I have always liked this lyric from their song "I Miss you":

Don't waste your time on me; You're already the voice inside my head.


I very much like this sentiment - when people become important to you, they become the voices you hear when your conscience is kicking in. Some examples:

  • If I am planning on going out the house with some kind of daggy outfit and unbrushed hair, the voice I hear is my mother's going 'You can't leave the house like THAT!'. At which point I will brush my hair. But not change the outfit :) Nice to see I am still rebelling against my mother even when it's actually me.
  • When being lazy about some kind of sewing project, and debating whether I should unpick and reattempt some annoying little detail that no-one else will know about but me - it's my Grandma Esme who provides the motivation to unpick the bloody thing and do it again. The funny thing is here, I will almost ALWAYS be happier when I do redo it.
  • Until recently, it was my mother's voice again that appeared when I was about to do something stupid (e.g lick a sharp knife, resulting in my tongue being sliced off). But I realised only recently that this has actually changed to Husband-person rather than my mother... And his voice is more an unbelieving 'you have got to be kidding, are you really going to do that???' rather than a rather strident 'Don't do that!' that I would hear in my mother's version

Having given this some thought, it's also interesting to note what aspects of my conscience don't have any dubbing - for example, when it comes to work matters, I have my own standards and I know when I haven't met them (althought lately, I have decided that sometimes, you can let these slip and other people never know the difference) so I am happy to critise myself in this matter.

Who do you hear when you know you could (and should) do better?

2 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When doing anything handy[wo]man-ish around the house, I hear my grandfather or my father saying 'measure twice, cut one'

When I'm tempted to machine up a hem because I want the damn garment finished already, I hear my mum saying "that hem will be crooked unless you hang the skirt for 24 hours to let it drop; and then hand sew it)

At work I sometimes hear one of my uni lecturers saying "I will give no marks to those who don't show every step of their reasoning"

And when someone hands me a hot cup of something, I can hear my former babysitter saying "both hands, no spills"

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol... you just made me realise... I only hear my own voice - but I argue with it EVERY SINGLE TIME... most of the time, while I'm arguing, the thing I'm arguing won't happen does happen... damn I've got to start listening to myself more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home